Job Position: Horticulture Specialist
Education: Horticulture related degree
Language: Fluent in Kannada, Proficient in English
Sales: Comfortable forming relationships and describing product to farmers or supply chain players
Job Location: Hubballi
About the Project:
Suryodaya is creating the A3S (Advanced Adaptable Agricultural System), a new high-performance and affordable solar-electric nursery and drying system for farmers in India. A3S was developed by a team based at Stanford University, USA with on-the-ground partners, the Deshpande Foundation and Pequrel Microelectronics Pvt. Ltd.
Recently, Suryodaya completed a 500-kg-scale prototype near Bellary and a 2000-kg prototype near Navalgund, Karnataka. With these two prototypes, Suryodaya plans to conduct further product testing and design refinement, to pilot a drying-as-a-service and nursery business model and deploy more A3S pilots in the coming year. Suryodaya is seeking a motivated, self-starting horticulture specialist to join the team to help execute activities on the ground in India in order to achieve Suryodaya’s short-term and long-term goals. This position will begin as a 1-month unpaid internship and will transition into a paid position if the working relationship is productive for both parties.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Explore logistics of using A3S as a nursery to grow seedlings (variety and quality)
- Conduct experiments and oversee operation of nursery during growing season
- Explore other value-addition crops to dry in addition to red chillies
- Analyze performance of dryer and provide feedback on quality and value of dried produce
- Work with India-based engineering teams to provide agriculture perspective for product design and refinement
4. Business Model:
- Develop an understanding of farmers agri needs and willingness to pay
- Farmer and user education
Relevant Attitude and Experience:
- Self-starter attitude, team player, eager to learn
- Respectful of timeliness, deadlines, and open communication
- Education: Horticulture related degree
- Language: Fluent in Kannada, Preferably proficient in English
- Sales: Comfortable forming relationships and describing product to farmers or supply chain players
Length of initial appointment:
- 1 month, unpaid trial period
- If both parties are satisfied with the working relationship, interns will be eligible for promotion to 5 month paid engineering employee positions
We are located at
Next to Airport, Opp to Gokul Village, Gokul Road, Hubballi, Karnataka.
Subscribe to our newsletter to get all our news in your Inbox.